Our family dentist in Toledo, Ohio offers comprehensive services, including a menu of cosmetic dental treatments that are designed to enhance and improve your smile. Cosmetic dentistry includes treatments that are performed to improve the aesthetics of a patient’s smile. They can range from simple professional whitening treatments to more complex treatment plans designed to completely makeover a patient’s smile. Of the many cosmetic treatments available, dental veneers are one of the most popular.
What Are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are wafer-thin shells that are shaped and colored to look like natural teeth. They are designed to permanently cover the visible portions of a patient’s teeth to create an aesthetically pleasing visible facade and smile.
There are several different types of dental veneers available including porcelain veneers, composite veneers, porcelain-fused to metal veneers, Lumineers, and snap-on veneers. The type of dental veneer recommended for you by our dentist depends on your treatment goals, individual needs, lifestyle, and budget.
What Can Dental Veneers Do?
While some cosmetic treatments (such as dental crowns or dental implants) also offer restorative benefits, veneers are solely cosmetic dental treatment. This means their purpose is to improve the aesthetic appearance of a patient’s smile by covering up visible imperfections.
Dental veneers are commonly used to:
- Cover up permanent stains or other types of permanent discoloration
- Create an evenly colored smile
- Fill in tooth gaps
- Correct the appearance of irregularly sized or shaped teeth
- Improve smile symmetry and balance
- Create the look of a straight smile without actually straightening teeth with orthodontics
- Cover visible silver amalgam fillings
Our dentist in Maumee, Ohio can apply dental veneers as an entire set, creating a completely new look. They can also be applied individually to correct minor imperfections and enhance a patient’s natural look.
Common Dental Veneer Treatment Alternatives
For some patients, alternatives to dental veneers turn out to be the most appropriate option for treatments. Some of these common alternatives to dental veneers include:
- Professional teeth whitening to brighten, whiten, and even the color of the tooth enamel.
- Dental bonding to mask permanent stains, fill in gaps, seal chips and cracks, cover up amalgam fillings, or correct the size/shape of an irregular tooth.
- Dental crowns to seal, support, and improve the appearance of a tooth.
Are Dental Veneers the Right Cosmetic Treatment for You?
Several factors should be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not dental veneers are right for you. The most important factors to consider are your oral health and your treatment goals. Our dentist in Toledo can talk with you during a consultation and examine your teeth and gums to help you determine the course of treatment that can best meet your needs.
To learn more about dental veneers and smile makeovers, we invite you to contact Light Touch Dental Care to request an appointment with Dr. Natalie Nechvatal today. We look forward to working with you to achieve a beautiful and healthy smile for life.